Ria - Helen Frankenthaler
Alex - Mark Rothko
Elizabeth - Hedda Sterne
Helen - Adolph Gottlieb
Genisus - Perle Fine
Rylan - Lee Krasner
Natalie - Elaine de Kooning
Maya - Mary Abbott
Shreya - Hans Hofmann
Ada - Joan Mitchell
Amelia - Norman Lewis
Raina - Jay DeFeo
Lucy - Agnes Martin
Julianne - Judith Godwin
THIS ENTRY IS TO BE POSTED ON THE BLOG PAGE OF YOUR WEBSITE.
Using Artist Spotlight posts and KhanAcademy resources as examples, present biographical and contextual information about the AbEx painter who you have selected (and have been approved) to investigate. Include also any information you can find about the specific materials and processes that your artist used.
This research should be helpful to YOU as you try to understand this artist in the context of Abstract Expressionism and in the ways that they worked. It should also be helpful to OTHERS. These posts will be used by your classmates to learn about multiple AbEx painters. These investigations should allow both you and you classmates to be better prepared to make your own paintings and to understand how art history plays an ongoing role in the development of art. Consider these outcomes carefully as you complete your research and as you design your AWARENESS post.
At a minimum, include the following in your AWARENESS post:
- Heading. AWARENESS: Artist Spotlight #8 - Artist's name and birth/death dates
- A picture of the artist
- At least ONE of their iconic AbEx paintings, including credit line
- At least ONE of their earlier paintings, including credit line (so we can get a sense of their evolution as an artist)
- Basic facts/background info. - biographical, stylistic, contextual, etc.; a brief "report" to summarize their life and work - the things that made them famous and important to art history (quality v. quantity/writing & honor rules apply; cite/list your sources).
- Supporting information (videos, articles, websites, etc.) that will help explain the "who/what/where/why/how, etc." about your artist. In addition to the information presented in your report, these resources should contain information needed to answer the questions that you will write. Again, quality v. quantity: Be selective - there will likely be many to chose from, but consider the time that you will be asking your classmate to spend when reviewing them (for example, don't include videos that are an hour long unless you can direct the reader to a specific, short segment that contains the info. that you need them to understand). NOTE: all links must be active.
- THREE questions that, when answered, will allow for comprehension and review of the artist's place in art history, their impact on the art world, their specific link to Abstract Expressionism, AND the reader's ability to make meaning and find inspiration from their life and work.