- Specific inspiration will come from the Anthropomorphic and Zoomorphic pottery of Latin American Pre-Columbian cultures....but your imagination should go wild....
- Learn about clay types, processes, and related vocabulary
- Understand how and when to use each hand building techniques of pinch, slab, and coil
- Demonstrate proficiency in techniques such as wedging, the score/slip method, and additive/subtractive decorating methods (incise, impress, appliqué)
- Create a clay sculpture or vessel using a spherical form made with pinch pots as the basis for further construction.
- Additional pinch, slab, and/or coil construction will complete the form and additive and subtractive decorative methods will create the details
- Construction must be hollow and should be sturdy and well balanced... and the product must make it through the drying/firing process without breaking, cracking, falling apart or exploding!
What is Clay?
Ancient American Art at the VMFA
Costa Rican Pottery