Students will be making a hand-built, ceramic incense burner in the tradition of Japanese forms but with content derived from personal memory.
- Create a hand-built, ceramic incense burner/holder whose design complements its smell and the memory evoked by it.
- Explore the expressive qualities of different ceramic forms, especially as related to the aesthetic of Japanese incense burners and the concept of wabi-sabi.
- Learn/practice/apply the hand-building techniques of pinch (pot), slab, and coil.
- Learn/practice/apply ways to manipulate and decorate the surface of the clay forms by using techniques such as impression, incision, modeling, and glazing.
- Become acquainted with contemporary Japanese ceramicists such as: