There is A LOT going on. Thanks in advance for reading about it:
- Parent/Teacher Conferences will be held on Wed., Feb. 13th from 4 - 7 pm. A Sign Up Genius link will be emailed directly from the school. I look forward to seeing you then!
- Please visit the OPPORTUNITIES page to review the many opportunities that your child can participate in, including classes and contests (see the dropdown menu). Many of the contests come with cash prizes! A summer travel opportunity for 2020 is forthcoming, stay tuned!
- The Night of the Dragon auction is coming up on Saturday, February 23rd. We count on the annual proceeds to fund Art Department needs. We will again be offering a "Surrealist Parlor Game and Dessert Party." If you'd be willing to bake a dessert for this fun event, please let me know.
- Speaking of both contests AND funding... Did you know that we have a NEW CLAY STUDIO??!! The renovation of an existing space to house our collection of 7 potter's wheels was funded by the Visual Arts Boosters (VAB) AND the proceeds of a contest won by a student. Art 2 made good use of the new studio last quarter. Come by and see it sometime!
- Speaking of the VAB... we'd still love your membership! Our goal is to have each art-family represented but we are not there yet. Many thanks if you have joined us! You can learn more about the VAB and its many activities and offerings on the website.
- Our annual Youth Art and Music (YAMM) event will be held on March 7th @ 6 - 9 pm. Each student will have art on display, the music/choral students will entertain us, and there will be food and drink to enjoy. This year, as a special treat, you will be able to paint panels of a mural to be installed outside the Bluestone entrance. Artist, Colleen Phelon Hall has been working with the students to design and execute this collaborative mural, which highlights Maggie L. Walker and her many accomplishments (go to her website to learn more).
- IMPORTANT!!! Course selection for next year is coming up soon. I hope that every Art 2 student will be moving to Art 3 - and that every Art 3 student will be moving to Art 4. This is the time when they really begin to thrive as artists! Art 3 is an intermediate/advanced course that prepares the students for the independent work that they will do in Art 4/5. Art 4 is combined with Art 5 and all Art 4/5 seniors will spend the year creating a body of work to be displayed at a professional gallery, off-campus, at the end of the year. It's a truly amazing process to watch as the students grow and develop their own artistic voices. Of course students can also enroll in Digital Art, Art History (VCU/8 credits), Photography (VCU/3 credits), and Film Studies (VCU/3 credits). You can download a 4 Year Visual Art Planner below.
- Continued enrollment in art also allows for entry to the National Art Honor Society (NAHS). Applications for this service organization will be accepted in April. Active involvement in the Art Club is a stepping-stone to the NAHS and students are always welcome to join. The Art Club meets on the 4th Wed. of each month. Details about both NAHS and Art Club can be found HERE.
Art 2 & 3
Sponsor of the Art Club & NAHS