Painted sheet metal
National Gallery of Art East Building
NEXT - watch this video and takes notes with particular focus on his:
- development and innovation as an artist
- use of line in his sculptures
- transition from narration to abstraction
- ability to engage the viewer
- mobiles v. stabiles v. wall-hangings v. wire sculptures
- use of space & response to environment ("off the plinth")
- There are reasons why an artist would title a work "Untitled".... what was Calder's reason for using this title for the mobile, which hangs in the East Building of The National Gallery, D.C.
- Consider the points made in the video; how could one or more of them apply to YOUR sculpture?