From "Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji"
10 x 15 inches
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- FIRST, explore this resource from the Freer/Sackler Galleries. Make sure to investigate: 1. Intro., 2. Subject, 3. Composition, 4. Color, and 5. Brush & Block
- NEXT, See the 36 views of Mount
- THEN, watch a virtual demonstration of woodblock printing and investigate the other types of printmaking as well.
- FINALLY, watch the video below:
1. What is Ukiyo-e? What are some characteristics of Ukiyo-e prints?
2. List and briefly explain the four types of printmaking as described in the virtual demo.
3. Use Hokusai's Great Wave and his other views of Mount Fuji to explain the characteristics of the "Japanese aesthetic," especially in contrast to what we are used to from a Western perspective. (NOTE: You should Keep this information in mind as you glaze your incense burner and also in preparation for a Global Focus assignment, which will be part of SB #5).