NEXT: Find TWO Abstract Expressionist painters, beyond Franz Kline, to investigate. You may want to choose from the artists who you looked at while preparing for the D.C. field trip BUT there are many others (see the resources below for ideas)...Make sure to:
- Select artists who are considered important in the field AND who fall into the time frame of the original Abstract Expressionists (make sure that your artists are Abstract Expressionists!)
- Look for artists whose style you particularly admire so you can draw specific inspiration as you begin to paint.
Include in the blog post:
2) An image with credit line
3) Basic facts/background - biographical, stylistic, contextual, etc.
4) A helpful resource, which supplements the prior info. (video, website, article, etc.)
5) Three questions that, when answered, would allow for review of the artist's place in art history and their specific link to Abstract Expressionism.
Here are some names to get you started but feel free to go beyond these (some are sculptors; you may select one sculptor to research if you will be able to apply what you've learned while painting):
Louise Bourgeois, Willem de Kooning, Helen Frankenthaler, Adolph Gottlieb, Franz Kline, Lee Krasner, Norman Lewis, Louise Nevelson, Barnett Newman, Isamu Noguchi, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, Mark Rothko, David Smith, Clyfford Still
OTHER HELPFUL RESOURCES: