- Spreading the Word (video) - exploring the theme of art as propaganda through an ancient Persian "billboard" and a king's desire to communicate his political vision
- Finish ancient Near East
- Quiz (open notes) - Chapter 2....just FYI, previous content becomes fair game from this point onward; tests are cumulative will be cumulative, as will the exam.
- As soon as you finish the quiz, read "Introduction to the Semester 1 Project" and review/refine/complete/change your initial ideas as per the project guidelines.
- NOTE: check HOMEWORK and TEST DATES below for changes...
- Read Chapter 3 - Ancient Egypt - make an effort to get through the Middle Kingdom (pp. 49 - 65) by the end of THIS week. Continue through the end of the chapter by the end of NEXT week.
- DUE OCT. 23 - TWO REFINED research project ideas as per the posted guidelines. Your proposal must be typed as to include the required visuals, museum locations, and credit lines.
- DUE OCT. 27 - Your choice of ONE "Think About It" question from Chapter 3
- VARIOUS DUE DATES: ART HISTORY ALERT!!! The topic for this round must specifically address one or more of the major themes that we have looked at. Your post must include an image of something we've covered in class and how it directly relates to the related theme that you've found elsewhere. This time, in order to avoid the last minute influx of posts (which, I think, prevents us from fully appreciating them), you will be "tagged" and assigned a deadline for the next week. Tagging will start on Oct. 13th.
- TUESDAY = Art Club meeting (because it's the 2nd Tues. of the month). DUES are $7.00 and the last day that they will be accepted is Nov. 10th. Dues and regular attendance are required to stay in the club and to be considered for NAHS in the future.
- WEDNESDAY = PSAT (morning); Periods 5 and 7 (afternoon)
- FRIDAY = Periods 1 and 3 (morning); Pep Rally/Field Day (afternoon)
- OCT. 27 = Art Club meeting (because it's the 4th Tues. of the month)
- NOV. 4 = Washington D.C. field trip permission forms available (Deadline Nov. 20th but space is limited, so first come/first served!)
LUNCHTIME LECTURES: Clear your calendar
- November 10, 2015 - Dr. R. Peter Mooz, past director of VMFA (1976-1981)
- February 9, 2016 - Emily Smith, Executive Director of 1708 Gallery
- April 12, 2016 - Tentative, art conservation (VMFA)
TEST DATES (to include any info. covered until those points - NOT open notes):
#1 - changed again - Let's just wait until Nov. 5th (not Oct. 20)(not Oct. 6)
#2 - Nov. 5 (@ end of Q1)
#3 - Dec. 15 (@ interim)
#4 - TBD, as needed to prepare for Sem. 1 exam
EXAM - Feb. 2