Welcome to Survey of World Art, Part II
- Homework due
- Review of Jewish, Early Christian, and Medieval art
- Finish review of Jewish, Early Christian, and Medieval art
FRIDAY: Assembly schedule
- Assign and start new homework assignment (posted below)
- Read Chapters 7 and 8 and the handout on the Middle Ages
- DUE TUESDAY - Your choice of one "Think About It" question from each chapter, 7 and 8, and a summary of the distinct characteristics and importance of the Gothic cathedral
- DUE FEB. 18 - This assignment is to be completed on the Facebook group page. The purpose is to share the task of investigating a selection of works that typify those produced during the Middle Ages. Use the assigned image(s) to explain the work of art, summarizing iconographical and contextual information to help clarify its specific style and function. Use additional images as needed or as assigned. The trick here is to summarize - this is not a research paper. Information can be presented in the main post as well as in subsequent comments below and as picture descriptions. Images should be identified with complete credit line information.
- MONDAY: Junior PSAT/scheduling assembly @ 11:15
- TUESDAY: Freshmen/Sophomore PSAT/scheduling assembly @ 11:15
- TUESDAY: College Kick-Off for Juniors @ 12:30
- TUESDAY = Art Club/NAHS & Lunchtime Lecture (EXTRA CREDIT OPPORTUNITY - SEE BELOW)
- THURSDAY: Report cards
- Feb. 23 = Art Club/NAHS (alpha-relaxation)
- March 11 = Youth Art Month (YAM) exhibit...start thinking about what you will submit for display....
LUNCHTIME LECTURES. This lecture series is intended to provide knowledge of art-related careers. Even if you do not go on to study art, the exposure to careers that combine art WITH other fields of study should be enlightening as you consider the possibilities for your future. This is a mandatory part of the studio art curriculum but an extra credit opportunity for you!
Requirements: 1) Attendance at the lecture; 2) A typed report (1 - 2 pages), which incorporates both factual information about the lecture itself and reflective thoughts that express your ability to make meaning of the experience; 3) Submission of the report no later than the Friday after the lecture.
- February 9, 2016 - Emily Smith, Executive Director of 1708 Gallery will talk about the gallery, its function as a nonprofit, as well as other nonprofit galleries and art resources in Richmond
- April 12, 2016 - Tentative, art conservators from VMFA